Wednesday 21 September 2011

'Marry Rich' :-)

Hello Loviessss, 


Drifting away from fashion today :-) 


A few days ago, I was trying to buy my ticket online for my trip to Greece and one of those sites popped up on my screen "How to land a rich man" by Forbes.com and i couldn't stop laughing and of course i clicked it :) :) From upgrading your hangout spots - Signing up as a volunteer in NGO's - Going for sporting events like golf, polo, tennis tournaments - Crashing bashes - Getting involved with politics, the list was endless. It cracked me up big time. 


I remembered that just last week, i heard my kid sister's friend talking about how she plans to marry a rich man. And by rich she means a man who earns $300k a year and at least $1M in investments. Its no small task but she's determined and she has some time because she's only 22 years.....lol.
Hmmm ... I think only a 22 year-old could have sounded like that. Sure, I admire her brazen honesty and there is some truth to some of what she said. Money DOES make a huge difference in terms of comfort and overall happiness. 


She also said  "You see, marrying rich isn’t about draping myself in diamonds, It’s about being able to protect myself and my family from whatever expenses the world may throw at us: medical issues, legal problems, retirement. And in doing that, I will still be able to live in comfort, to give my children every advantage, and to seize opportunities like travel, investments, and first class tickets but without incurring debt or sacrificing the basics in favor of the luxurious".


These are all good points. But let's also recall that one doesn't need to be "rich" to do those things. Just comfortable. On the other hand, this was clearly said by someone who has a lot to learn about the world :-)
Hmmm.. I remember my very good friend calling me about a month ago wailing seriously about how sad she has been since she got married 9 months ago. I asked her what the issue was and she complained bitterly about her hubby and how he was not who she thought he was. Huh (my eyebrows are raised at this point). Wont bore you with the details of her complaints.... 


I allowed my mind drift to one year ago (they dated for 3 months & got married) when she met this very rich, 'nice' guy and how excited we both were. She went on about how rich he was, how lovely his house was, all she had to do was move in with her suitcases, his Range Rover, LR4, C-class et all. I had to slow her down and ask if we weren't missing something - I thought all these were a bit odd coming from a 27 year old (who has experienced as many heartbreaks & aches as i have...lol). I assumed we had gone past the stage of material stuff being the ishhh.. 


Please don't get me wrong, i know all she mentioned above are important but i couldn't help but wonder why she was wailing so much - then it struck me, she married for the wrong reasons. But who i'm i to judge, i had to be the good friend and console her, told her it was just a phase and this too shall pass. (BTW i was almost tempted to remind her of my fears and all the objections i raised but i knew better than to do that). 


This seems to be a common theme among ladies in their early - mid 20s who are looking for mates. They have an idea of this perfect person with very specific pieces (like number of zeroes in his bank account!). As they age, one hopes they start to recognize that those things aren't nearly as important as more general qualities -- Passion, kindness,  and yes intelligence.


Wanting to marry for money isn't so horrible. But refusing to bend on the specifics guarantees a life of poverty either financially or emotionally. Make sure you are getting married for the right reasons. 


For my sister's friend, i had to give her a little big sister pep talk but hey its up to her. I say good luck to her, she'll need it.


I hope you find this interesting, Lets hear your views, comments.


xoxo.

4 comments:

  1. lovely write-up, you are damn right ,girls are too materialistic.No one is saying they should marry a pauper but they should give we young aspiring bachelors a chance. love your blog !

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting! i could write as many as hundred pages but i'll limit it..the world is a meat market,b4 nw guys were d buyers,nw both male and female are buyers and sellers!!But u cant help but notice that every1 wants 2 keep up wiv d jonzes or (kardashians).Even looks is a major plus, d stereotype of "tall,dark,rich and handsome'..really young ladies hv lost sight of the pertinent things. but one cant totally blame em!guys brought out d bitch in girls, now they've thrown caution 2 d wind and go wiv d highest bidder...still though some of us still knw wat we want,where we are from and going 2, meaning dis generation is not completely hopeless,i hope we all can just calm down and make d right decisions,not just 4 d nw but more importantly the future! i hv fallen in love wiv ur blog!and this post is def one of ur best...i lovee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a trend, no1 wants to go through the process, everybody wants to run without crawling first..i mean,u see younger girls chasing after men in their 40s and 30s just so they can outdo their friends.i just graduated this year and one of the reasons i am soo happy 2 be a graduate is cos i dont have 2 be stuck with all those superficial girls...brazilian hair, gucci bag, jimmy choos, frank muller wrist watches,all provided by so called men friends.But i was dead wrong cos the superficial girls are everywhere i look, so theres no running away. i just think its rather annoying and repulsive. whatever happened to ''girl power"?? and u working 2 become your own person?? this trend is sad, and makes me wonder if theres any hope.
    p.s...did i mention dat d guys 2 are totally clueless??they dont knw jack like how to separate the chaff from d wheat!! #upsetmuch!!
    thumbs up stylefash25

    ReplyDelete
  4. keep up with these posts and one day soon u'll be our next oprah!mix with fashn sha.lol

    ReplyDelete